Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Gold chains and a little white ball

Another day has passed. Just three more until we return to our homes.

I'm pretty sure I can say we will all miss 5 a.m. wake up calls followed by drives on rough roads surrounded by lush landscape and the smell of diesel engines. At least I know I will.

Today's farmer, Ernesto Chacon, had been working the land for 35 years. He started as a cattle rancher, and now operates one of the finer fields here in Tarazzu.

His smile intrigued me.

As I was waiting for Sebas to use the GPS to find our first transect, I stumbled upon the cowboys... is there a name for the Costa Rican rancher?

They were young. So young, in fact, that chest hair had only recently filled in their half-buttoned shirts.

They laughed at the sight of me. I can only imagine what was going through their heads as I quickly made images of the scene and then moved in closer to capture the details.

I feel I can truly see things when the camera is pressed to my eye. That is when I most certainly find the confidence to interpret the world around me. To tell another's story.

On this trip I feel there are many stories upon which I could focus. Each farmer has one, each team member has one, and I have one. Yet how do I tell the story? That is the question on my mind as I make the images that freeze a moment in time.

The journey excites me.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

the hunter said...

Looks like a fun day! Ping pong! woot woot!