Monday, August 25, 2008

Costa Rican rain


I landed in San Jose right as the morning sunshine was packing up to make way for the ever-predictable afternoon showers.

For weeks now I've been contemplating and imagining (and perhaps dreading) the torrents that water the verdant landscape nearly every day.

Its the rainy season now in Costa Rica. I'm told its this way from April until November.

When I got out of the shower at 1:30 p.m., the rains had started. I opened the doors to my balcony and sat and watched the downpour.

We're staying at the lovely Hotel Bougainvillea only one night before heading two hours away to the mountains where the majority of our time will be spent on the coffee farms.

Once the rain started, I broke out my rain coat and went outside to the eight acre garden surrounding the hotel. I wanted to see if I could photograph the rain.

The showers persisted for several hours. I gave up after a while - I was wet and cold.

Back in the room I listened to the sound the countless drops made as they hit the ground. I pulled out the audio recorder to capture the moment and with the help from Ozomatali (the background musicians), I decided to put together a little slide show to hopefully give you a better idea of what it was like.

If you press the button in the lower right-hand corner of the slide show frame, you'll be able to watch it full-frame.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

the hunter said...

here you are inspiring me once again!! costa rica looks awesome! and you're legs look awesome too! i think i'll start planning a vacation right now....